NEWS from THE NORWEGIAN MARITIME UNIONS
Six Candidates for Position of IMO Secretary-General
By the deadline of March 31, 2011, six candidates had been nominated by their Governments for the position of Secretary-General of the International Maritime Organization (IMO).
The election for the post will be held at the 106th session of the 40-Member strong IMO Council, which meets from 27 June to 1 July 2011. The decision of the Council will be submitted to the IMO Assembly, which meets for its 27th session from 21 to 30 November 2011, for its approval.
The nominations received are listed below in alphabetical order by candidates’ name.
- Mr. Lee Sik Chai – Republic of Korea
- Mr. Andreas Chrysostomou – Republic of Cyprus
- Mr. Neil Frank Ferrer – Republic of the Philippines
- Mr. Jeffrey Lantz – United States of America
- Mr. Esteban Pacha Vicente – Kingdom of Spain
- Mr. Koji Sekimizu – Japan
The present incumbent, Mr. Efthimios E. Mitropoulos, ends his second four-year term as Secretary General on 31 December 2011.